1/8/16

C is for Construction: Storytime Plan

Opening Song: "If You're Happy and You Know It" [standing up] with whispered added verse "If it's storytime and you know it, say Shhhh..."

Letter of the Day

Book: Construction by Sally Sutton 
[Have group repeat each repeating phrase. "Hoist the wood!" "Hoist the wood!"]

















OR

Book: Dalmatian in a Digger by Rebecca Elliott














Action Song (seated): "Bumpity Bumpity" 
(to the tune of "Ten Little Bubbles." 2x, second time superfast)

Bumpity-bumpity comes the dump truck [stomp feet to bumpity-bumpitys]
Bumpity-bumpity comes the dump truck,
Bumpity-bumpity comes the dump truck,

DUUUMMMMMP out the load!


Song: Dance, Freeze, Melt by The Learning Groove from their album Rockin' Red

Book (sung): Old MacDonald Had a Truck by Steve Goetz












Action Song a cappella: "I Can Work with One Hammer"

Action Rhyme (if time): "Five Little Nails"
Five little nails standing straight and steady--                                                                           Here I come with my hammer ready!                                                                                         BAM! BAM! BAM! One nail goes down.                                                                                     Now there are four nails left to pound.

Closing Song: Laurie Berkner's "These Are My Glasses" a cappella. "Today, everything we find in our book will begin with "C". Possibles before opening to kids for suggestions: Car! [beep! Beep!] Cookie! [nom nom nom]

--------------------------------------
Reorder/omit elements as audience age demands

Alternative Action Song (standing): "The Vehicles at the Site"
(To the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell")

The backhoe scoops the dirt.
The backhoe scoops the dirt.
Hey-ho! Look at it go!
The backhoe scoops the dirt.
 The dozer pushes dirt…
The dump truck dumps the dirt…
The mixer spins around…
The crane moves up and down…

-------------------------

Tool Chant
[Show four tools and count them out loud together. (Saw, hammer, screwdriver, level, etc)]

I have four tools.
Show me four [kids hold up four fingers].
[OR: "How many?" "Four!" with group answering with number]
What's this called and what's it for?

I have three tools.
Show me three.
Tell me, what could this one be?

I have two tools.
Show me two.
Tell me, what does this one do?

I have one tool.
Show me one.


How does this one get things done?

--------------------------

Alternative book: Backhoe Joe by Lori Alexander
Alternative book: Tip Tip Dig Dig by Emma Garcia