2/10/17

I is for Insects: Storytime Plan

Opening Song: "If You're Happy and You Know It" [standing up] with whispered added verse "If it's storytime and you know it, say Shhhh..."

[Add: The letter “I” can make two sounds. Sometimes it sounds like “ih”, as in imagine, important, or itchy. Sometimes it sounds like "eye", as in ice cream, idea, or island!]
Guessing Game Rhyme:  "Ladybug, Ladybug, Are You Behind the ____ Rug?"

Book: Bear and Bee by Sergio Ruzzier
















Action Rhyme: "Here is the Beehive" (version via The Loudest Librarian)

Here is the beehive (make fist)
Where are the bees?
Hidden away where nobody sees.
Watch and you’ll see them come out of the hive.
1,2,3,4,5 (open fingers one at a time)
They’re alive!!! (fly bees around as if to tickle kids)

Action Rhyme: "Freddy Flea"

On the floor is Freddy Flea
Now he's climbing up on me
Past my tummy, past my nose--
On my head where my hair grows!
On my head is Freddy Flea
Now he's climbing back down me
Past my tummy, past my knee
On the floor--now scat, you flea!

Song: Dance, Freeze, Melt by The Learning Groove from their album Rockin' Red

Action Rhyme: "Bread and Butter" with crowdsourced insect names
Bread and butter, marmalade and jam--
let's say "praying mantis" as quickly as we can" / "as slowly as we can" etc.

Action Rhyme: "Two Praying Mantises" ("Two Little Blackbirds" variation--show picture of praying mantis [or whichever other insect you might swap in])

Book: Tiny Little Fly by Michael Rosen [Have group say "tiny little fly!" when I say "My oh my," and "I'm going to catch that fly!" when they occur] [omit this book if time doesn't permit]






















OR


Book: Firefly Home by Jane Clarke (lightly interactive)

Image result for firefly home jane clarke


Song: "Silly Dance Contest" by Jim Gill (or other non-themed song)


Book: Butterfly Butterfly by Petr Horacek [clip most pages if fitting in third book is hard]



















Closing Song: Laurie Berkner's "These Are My Glasses" a cappella. "Today, everything we find in our book will begin with "I". Possibles before opening to kids for suggestions: Ice cream! [let's lick it] Itching Powder! [scratch self madly]


--------------------------------------------------
Alternates to swap in:
Books: The Fly by Petr Horacek
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Soup for One by Ethan Long