2/22/17

SH is for Share: Storytime Plan

[NOTE: Uses same books, mostly, as I is for Ice Cream plan--try "Share" in winter and "Ice Cream" in Summer]

Opening Song: "If You're Happy and You Know It" [standing up] with whispered added verse "If it's storytime and you know it, say Shhhh..."


Magnet Board: [Use images of a teddy bear, a chair, a pear, and underwear, pointing out that they rhyme with share. Ask "Could/should I share my....bear? Could I share my....pear?" etc, ending with "underwear"]

Book: Groovy Joe: Ice Cream and Dinosaurs by Eric Litwin



















OR


Book: The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins [have group be doorbell and say "Nobody makes cookies like grandma!" Read with or without cookie graphics linked below]














cookie graphics

Song: "I Can Share Things" [tune: "Frere Jacques". Slap knees/thighs in rhythm. Sing line solo first; have group sing echo. Ask for suggestions of things we might share after below verse. To add fun/difficulty, sing each verse more quickly than previous one]

I can share things
I can share things
with my friends
with my friends
I can share my books
I can share my books
with my friends
with my friends

Song: Dance, Freeze, Melt by The Learning Groove from their album Rockin' Red

Learn: Teach ASL sign for "Share" 




Action Rhyme w/ or w/o Magnet Board: "Five in the Bed" ["This rhyme is about five ________ that share one bed. And one of them is not very happy about sharing at first..." Below lyrics/actions straight from Future Librarian Superhero, minus ending]

There were five in the bed [Hold up correct number of fingers]
and the little one said, "Roll over, roll over." [Make grumpy faces and shake a finger]
So they all rolled over [energetic rolling motions]
and one fell out [Ouch!]


There were four in the bed...

There was one in the bed and the little one said "I'm lonely." ["So they all came back and snuggled!"]

Book: Should I Share My Ice Cream? by Mo Willems




















OR

Book: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog by Mo Willems
Song with Shaker Eggs: "Milkshake Song" by Anne-Marie Akin from Songs for Wiggleworms or "Twist and Shout" by Rob Newhouse from same album

Closing Song: Laurie Berkner's "These Are My Glasses" a cappella. "Today, everything we find in our book will begin with "SH". Possibles before opening to kids for suggestions: Sheep! [Baaaa!] Shark! Shampoo! [pretend to lather up]


---------------------------------------------------------
Book to Add or Swap in: Pie is for Sharing by Stephanie Ledyard.
The Bear Who Shared by Catherine Rayner  ["plorringes"--read as first book, and do Groovy Joe as second book]